Thursday, September 1, 2016

Shake, Shake, Shake

Part of my Rompin' Stompin' Story Time is fun with shaker eggs.  This is normally the first activity where the kids are getting something to hold and they start running to the front as soon as they see the purple basket that the shakers live in.  Here is my routine for this part of story time.



Depending on how big the group is I use the following songs to start our shaker egg time:

Small Group
I Can Shake My Shaker Egg
Mr. Eric & Mr. Michael
Rockin' Red


Large Group
Shake It!
Sally's Music Circle
Little Red Caboose


I love the Eric Litwin song, but it is a lot harder to do with my large groups since the children will end up running.

There is no way to use shaker eggs without this song!

I Know a Chicken
Laurie Berkner
Whaddaya Think of That?


I Know a Chicken is the crowd favorite and when we make the circle I have the children start by making little circles and make them bigger, and bigger until they are using their whole bodies.

Depending on how much the children are enjoying the shaker eggs we may do a third song with them.  This is a great song that I really get the children to dance with:

Shake! (Your Shaker Eggs)
We Kids Rock
Everybody Clap Your Hands


The key to this song is to go for the gold with your crazy dances and the children will too!

At this point in the story time I have the children bring me their shaker eggs and find their own space to do the "Crazy Hokey Pokey".

Shake It All About
Basho & Friends
Dance Party on Fun Street


The children absolutely love this song since I added it a few months ago.  It is one that I have to use almost every story time.  This song can get the children acting a little crazy so I always stop the music and the end and give the kids a very serious look and let them know that we have a problem, we have gotten way to silly with all this shaking and catching bean bags (our next activities) is very serious business.  So we need to... and this is where the regular kids yell- SHAKE MY SILLIES OUT!

Shake My Sillies Out
Raffi
More Singable Songs


I am always looking for new songs and activities to do with shaker eggs since they are such a popular part of my Rompin' Stompin' Story Time so please feel free to share your favorites in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment